Saturday, March 10, 2007

RAIDERS - SSHS JROTC "Elite" Cadets



Special Forces in the late 80s and forward has a unique way of pre-selecting Special Forces candidates through a course called SFAS (Special Forces Assessment Selection). Down and dirty the process is to weed out the ones who really want to be there vs wannabees who (my opinion) watched 1 too many war movies. From there the selected will be qualified to move on to the training of a Special Forces Operative... Still with an ongoing selection process.

Nothing but pride for thoughts who prevail and awarded with the covenant "Green Beret" and the Special Forces Tab.

With all this knowledge and background in my past - as a JROTC instructor. I wanted the cadets of SSHS (trained by myself and SGM Kiyoshi) to have an opportunity to get a small taste, yet full understanding the sweetness of earning an "Elite" award. Also, to help them understand success is sweater when you earn it!

So 3 1/2 years ago when I got on board I knew (from my recruiting past) about "the Raiders" in JROTC... problem was there was no set standard on how to achieve this cool looking award - I know of one school that basically gives it out to the cadets to be "hall monitors" (my opinion - If the SF was all about "ratting out" fellow soldiers I never would have signed up). Anyways, I said to myself there it is! Raiders will become SSHS JROTC "Elite" cadets.

I started off with 36 cadets all Raiders "Wannabees". Phase I - was performed by these cadets will a pretest of everything they would all be taught and must have scored with at minimum 40% (that will be cycled into their overall qualifying score) along with a Cadet Challenge Plus test (Push-ups, pull-ups, v-sit, curl-ups, shuttle run, and a 2-1/2 mile run) must score a 60%. I saw a drop off with 32 remaining. Their titles then changed to TURD (Training Under Rigorous Development), say what you want... these cadets are proud of that newly earned title.

Then Phase II began - Map Reading/Land Navigation/Orientation, cadets were trained in the same fashion as we were in the Army (classroom, hands-on practice, practical applications, then tested) all "TURD's" must then score at minimum of 70% (again factor into the running scores).

Phase III - Marksmanship training. All must score above 80% - However, to actually fire the air rifles they must score 100%.

Phase IV - Ropes/One Rope Bridge (building and crossing). The TURDs must score a 70% in this area.

Phase V - First Aid/CPR (Also earning their Red Cross Certifications). TURDs must score a 80% for Red Cross qualifications and a GO in the hands-on testing [we will have several cadets laid out in a scenario where they have injuries including: victims (conscious/unconscious) choking, bleeding (venous & arterial), fractures (open & closed), shock, not breathing.

Phase VI - They will then retest the original General Knowledge test (same from "Wannabee" phase) must score higher than there original score 70% and the Cadet Challenge Plus physical testing must score 75%.

Graduation event is when the TURDs will me at the base of Mt Tapochao and race to the very top (Jesus statue) under the time of 33 minutes. Those who complete the Raider training with an over all score exceeding 75% will be issued their covenant RAIDER arc and Black Cord. The selected 5 overall Raiders will remain active year round and wear a "Gray Beret". The "Honor Grad" will also be recognized amongst their Raider peers.

The Class of 2004 started with 36 and ended with 11.
The Class of 2005 started with 28 and ended with 9.
The class of 2006 started with 26 and ended with 3.
The Class of 2007 started with 26 and currently have 14 remaining (due to complete their training and testing by 26 March 2007).

These "Elite" cadets are truly in a class of their own and have endured through much. The cadets among them shows the due respect and understand what they go through - they too have pride in what their Raider cadets have went through. All TURD scores are posted in the open for all cadets to see - this brings out the challenge among the cadets.

Want to know more... find any SSHS JROTC Raider and ask them of their experience and feelings.

8 comments:

garny said...

Hell yaeh... I'm Gary

Raiders, from the Manta Ray Battalion, are the elite cadets ever to walk in JROTC.

Kagman happens to have their own raider team but only because they need "HALL MONITORS". Yep... thats what they do.d

SSHS have no competion aginst any other battalion. After all, SSHS MRB is the best out of the whole entire Western Region of the World, compared to the Mailand too. We scored a 592 out of 600.

I know this for a fact because I was the Manta Ray Battalion Cadet Command Seargent Major and the Battalion Raider Commander.

My advise to all the "wannabe in the Manta Ray Battalion" is to stop all the wish to be in the battalion itself and come over. This way you would look good and have challenges in to the work and effort to actually earn your position/rank.

Kagman does it differently. Over there, you must kiss ass to get what you want.

Motto: "NO MISSION TOO DIFFICULT, NO SACRIFICE TOO GREAT, DUTY FIRST. HUAH YEA YEA...!"

Manta's all the way.

Gary_islandboy101 said...

My name is Philip Kalen and i'm borrowing Gary's acount to get the extra credit.

Gary_islandboy101 said...

This is Kelvin and i should have been a Raider.

Richard "Hawk" Haugh said...

Kelvin, WYAAAAA Your sister REALLY paid her dues and met the standards... Raiders standard will not be JEAPORDIZED to meet the demands of a cadet (TURD)... Next time meet the standards and you too can be a member of SSHS JROTC "Elite" Raider Platoon.
SFC HAWK

Tony said...

You got tagged. Go to bloggersoffspring.blogspot.com to find out more

Gary_islandboy101 said...

Word to all people out there. We are the hottest most baddest team out there. You look like us, act like us, wannabe us, but never gonna be us.

Raiders all the way HUAH!!!

dannyboy said...

Im not sure how long this blog has been going on but this is my 2 cents....arhmmm

I'm saying this as a fact, im one of the orignal RAIDER member when it was first founded in SSHS (legitimately)and im proud to say that if it wasnt for this program in the JROTC I probably wouldn't have been able to take on the call of duty and enlisted into the MARINES I am proud to also say that with each new class that graduates from being a TURD they will only get better if not superior to the last class that graduated, because they only bring the bar up even higher as the program lasts longer. I know of what what SFC. Hugh was talking about when he says "Elite" Im currently in a unit where I'm surrounded my the best of the best, the most elite of the elite of the Marine Corp. I have seen them train and I have seen them PT and there's one thing I can only say THEY ARE THE BEST BY ALL MEASURES!!!!

With that all said I have the highest respect and honor of being in the care and supervision of the founder of the current RAIDER's of SSHS he is the only reason I have had such a good time being in school and wearing a uniform was not just another task but an honor to have worn through my years as a high school student.

Everyone that reads this will know that every former and current RAIDER has earned that title and will wear it proudly on the shoulders and chest as they walk around in school in uniform as have I.

OH! and Garny (Gary C.) the battalion motto was founded by my former CO in JROTC as a motto for my company back then (Alpha). So Im proud everytime I hear the motto being chanted and screamed each and every time.

By the way this is si Daniel or others know me jus simply as Dan.

Korlawat said...

Hi Mr.hawk

My name is korlawat 2/2 No.9

yes sir
we need support do you copy over